How to use nose drops
- Blow your nose gently.
- Drop the required number of drops into each nostril.
- The aim is to get the liquid to spread over all the inside surface of the nose – including the upper surface.
- A good position is to lie on a bed with your head hanging back over the edge. Stay like this for two minutes after putting in the drops before getting up. This is so that the liquid does not immediately run out of your nose or down the back of your throat but stays for a while in the nose cavity.
- Kneeling or bending forwards is an alternative, but it is harder to stay like this for two minutes after putting in the drops.
- Do not put in nose drops by tilting your head back when standing or sitting. The upper surface inside your nose will not be covered by the liquid.
- Replace the top on the bottle after using.
Some points about nose drops
- Ask a pharmacist or doctor for advice before starting a new type of nose drop, or if you use nose drops long-term.
- Between doses, keep the bottle closed and store in a cool, dark place (unless otherwise advised).
- Do not let anyone else use your drops and do not use anyone else’s drops yourself.
- Do not use nose drops more often or for longer than advised. Some nose drops must only be used for a short time. Some ‘go off’ and need replacing after a certain time.
- Throw out the bottle (and get a new one if required) after the recommended time. (One tip is to write the date that you opened the bottle on the label so you will know when it is time to throw it out.)
- Keep the drops out of children’s reach.
The above advice is general advice for most nose drops. You may be given specific instructions which may vary from the above.
Disclaimer | Provide feedback
Egton Medical Information Systems Limited. Registered in England. No 2117205 Registered Office: Fulford Grange, Micklefield Lane, Rawdon, Leeds, LS19 6BA